Sargento Foods Inc. has issued a recall of seven kinds of cheese as a result of a contamination of Listeria monocyte genes. Besides the fact that no illnesses have been reported yet, the company reported that the contaminated cheeses may cause listeriosis. Listeriosis is a serious infection which occurs when foods contaminated with the bacterium Listeria monocytogenes are consumed. This infection is quite common. In fact, about 1,600 people get this infection a year. Pregnant women and newborns are more susceptible to listeriosis. Moreover, this infection is more likely to affect people over 65 and the ones with a weak immune system.
The Deutsch Kase Haus is a supplier who notified Sargento Foods Inc. that a specialty Longhorn Colby cheese it supplied to Sargento must be recalled due to a potential contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. Hence, in addition to the products recalled on February 10, 2017, the company decided to expand the recall on other products. As a result, many consumers became concerned and started asking questions. Therefore, Sargento Foods Inc. is closely monitoring and gathering information about this report.
The company will continue to respond to the consumers and activate reimbursements. You can call 1-800-CHEESES (1-800-243-3737) or email them via the “Contact Us” page on Sargento.com. The phone calls will be answered from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Central Time); emails should get a response within 24 hours.
The Recalled Retail Products
- Sargento Sliced Colby, 8 oz., UPC 4610000105, Sell By date 15MAY17F
- Sargento Sliced Muenster, 8oz., UPC 4610000107, Sell By dates 05MAR17F, 06MAR17F, 16APR17F, 17APR17F and 15APR17F
- Sargento Sliced Pepper Jack, 7.5 oz., UPC 4610000122, Sell By date 03MAY17B
- Sargento Sliced Tomato & Basil Jack, 6.67 oz., UPC 4610000279, Sell By date 03MAR17B
- Sargento Shredded Reduced Fat Colby-Jack, 8 oz., UPC 4610041018, Sell By date H07APR17
- Sargento Shredded Chef Blends 4 Cheese Pizzeria, 8 oz., UPC 4610041105, Sell By date H10APR17
- Sargento Artisan Blends Double Cheddar Shredded Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040094, Sell By date H09JUN17 and H08JUN17
Additionally, there have been added “Sell By” dates to some of the products that were previously recalled on February 10, 2017:
- Sargento Ultra Thin Sliced Longhorn Colby, 6.84 oz., UPC 4610000228, Sell By dates 02FEB17F, 01MAR17B and 16MAR17F
- Sargento Chefs Blend Taco Blend Shredded Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040002, Sell By dates H11MAY17 and H01JUN17
- Sargento Sliced Pepper Jack, 12oz., UPC 4610000108, Sell By dates 11JUN17B, 02MAY17B and 03MAY17B
- Sargento Sliced Colby-Jack, 12oz., UPC 4610000109, Sell By date 01MAY17B
- Sargento Off the Block Fine Cut Colby-Jack Shredded Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040014, Sell By date H06MAY17
- Sargento Chef Blends Nacho & Taco Shredded Cheese, 8oz., UPC 4610040041, Sell By dates H04MAY17, S15MAY17 and H01JUN17
- Sargento Off the Block Fine Cut Cheddar Jack Shredded Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040076, Sell By dates H09MAY17, H08MAY17 and H07MAY17
Note that no other Sargento branded products have been affected by this recall. The affected cheeses were packed in Plymouth, Wis. facility.